Ground Beef Casserole with Cornbread Topping
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup bell pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nondairy creamer
- 1 cup low cholesterol egg substitute
- 3 cups Southern-style Cornbread, crumbled (see recipe)
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Chop onion and dice bell pepper.
- Brown ground beef with onion and bell pepper in a skillet over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Add salt, chili powder, cayenne, oregano and garlic powder. Stir to mix. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour beef mixture into dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine nondairy creamer and egg substitute. Stir in crumbled cornbread and jalapeno peppers until ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. Spoon over beef mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until cornbread topping is browned.